16 August 2009

Let's Face the Music and Dance

So I haven't updated in a while -- I meant to do a post about footy shortly after the Carlton v Geelong match, but never got around to it. (Footy post will be forthcoming, though, when I do manage to get around to it.)

Life is shockingly ordinary; I go to class, I cook for myself, and I procrastinate my reading. But last weekend (Saturday 8th August) I went out with a bunch of people from International House (one of the UM residential colleges), most of whom I didn't know. Cassandra and I had meant to go out clubbing that night, but she ended up needing to work on a paper, so I texted Corey, who invited me to come over to I-House to pregame before joining them to go to Workshop, a bar down in the CBD.

The pregaming was pretty fun; we played Kings and danced to loud music before hopping a tram down to Workshop. The night that followed was only okay though, since everyone split into their own little groups and I didn't really know anyone but Corey. So I'd just started contemplating heading out (it was getting late, I was tired and not drunk enough to be able to deal with sitting around people I didn't know awkwardly) when the boy (part of the group I'd come with, but someone I hadn't met yet) sitting next to me introduced himself and we started talking.

Long story short, that was a week ago and we've been on two dates since. =) So it's been quite a lovely week -- it makes me laugh that there's past precedent for this, yet I completely didn't expect it -- in fact, actively expected that I wouldn't meet anyone. I mean, I am only here till the end of November (possibly a little bit longer, if I can manage to swing it?). And yet I don't believe in not doing things just because I'm afraid they'll get more difficult, or they'll come to an end; most things do, and it's what happens before they end that matters.

In other news, Prosh Week is coming up. It's an old University of Melbourne tradition, a week filled with fake parades, scavenger hunts, and other various drunken debauchery. (Tradition holds that it used to be the week when all the Faculty Balls were held, so it was called "Posh Week," but due to drunken students slurring words -- trust me, these balls are mainly an excuse to get dressed up and then get drunk -- it became "Prosh Week" instead..) At first I was fairly sceptical about it, but the more I hear about it, the more it seems like something that I should be involved in during my short time here.

I don't want to regret anything -- not anything I did, or even anything I didn't do. So I'm going to go for it. I'm going to go for all of it, and live it up.

Before the fiddlers have fled
Before they ask us to pay the bill
And while we still have the chance
Let's face the music and dance
...
There may be teardrops to shed
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com